The Shared Diary of a Novice Paranormal Investigator, aged 52 and Three Quar

When you believe in things you don’t understand, then you suffer.

(Stevie Wonder)

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,

Than are dreamed of in your philosophy.

(Shakespeare)

Ri fol ri fol tol de riddle dee.
(Traditional)

Wednesday

Dowsing up the Motorway

The dowsing is warming up.  I have a ‘yes’ sign and I have a ‘no’ sign.  We devised game: Youngest hides one ear-ring and I hold the other in my left hand behind the rod handle.  I have only 30% success rate.  I have dowsed for the cat and for Youngest (he was in front of the TV).  I took the rods to one of my Special Places, and watched them twirl like helicopter blades.  Of course, it was a bit windy.  Yesterday I realised that if I walk over the water pipe, they cross.  I also found out that I could make them move how I want them to by squeezing them gently.  So gently, that nobody would know, and I could even pretend to myself that I had not really done it.

I have booked myself on a two-day course to learn how to use them, and I have found the local society.  I have received hearty welcome messages of advice and encouragement.  I am heading for my first meeting later today, the intrepid explorer of another unfamiliar section of motorway.  With only a satnav to protect me, I am once again driving myself too hard; or at least to somewhere where it is probably too hard to park.

I anticipate a church hall atmosphere, possibly a high beard count, and plenty of women like me, wearing fleeces.  I think the buffet of Cosy Local will be replaced by tea with too much milk in it and those boring biscuits everybody eats at meetings, even though they are just not worth the calories.  I suspect a select band disappears to a pub sharply at the end of the meeting, and another gaggle hangs around chatting in the chilly car park.  I am going to hare it home.  It is Friday night and I want to take my shoes off.

No comments:

Post a Comment