The Shared Diary of a Novice Paranormal Investigator, aged 52 and Three Quar

When you believe in things you don’t understand, then you suffer.

(Stevie Wonder)

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,

Than are dreamed of in your philosophy.

(Shakespeare)

Ri fol ri fol tol de riddle dee.
(Traditional)

Saturday

Mostly, at weekends, I like to stamp up and down the Peak District.  Today, that is not going to happen.  A mild virus has changed my blood into lemon squash, the weather is bad and we have some irritating chores to complete in the house.  A proper day hike is out of the question, but perhaps I can make something happen.

I have decided to take time out to look for a small adventure with Stuff.  I am going to visit a ‘Mind, Body and Sprit’ fair half an hour’s drive away.  It is in competition with a ‘Psychic’ fair only fifteen minutes away.  I might manage both, but I think I will start with Mind etc.  I do not know much about mediums, but at the moment, I think I would prefer to avoid them.  I imagine they must be either sleazy or very unhealthy and possibly in some kind of danger.  A psychic fair is probably not for me, right now.  Maybe another day.  I do not really know what a Mind etc fair is, and that seems like an excellent reason to go.

I do not want to go on my own, but nor do I want to invite any of my friends because I do not want them to think I have started believing in loopiness.  I find myself secretive about my new hobby; perhaps I should have chosen another activity after all, if I find it so embarrassing.  I am anxious that it will be wild and wacky, that I will be out of place, or bored with no companions.  Being a lone investigator is an isolating experience.  It is like being Philip Marlow without the hat.  ‘It was a tough psychic fair, off a dirty junction, through a mean one way system’.  I tell myself to get a grip, I study the road map and start worrying about finding a parking place.

No comments:

Post a Comment