The Shared Diary of a Novice Paranormal Investigator, aged 52 and Three Quar

When you believe in things you don’t understand, then you suffer.

(Stevie Wonder)

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,

Than are dreamed of in your philosophy.

(Shakespeare)

Ri fol ri fol tol de riddle dee.
(Traditional)

Saturday

Stone Circle Mania!

I have started taking my rods with me to Neolithic sites, to see what they do.  It is a novel kind of picnic.  I am by no means certain that I am dowsing right.  I am not certain there is a right way.  I am doing something, but I do not know what it is.  That is a fine motto to live by. 
Last week, we went to Bryn Celli Ddu Burial Chamber on Anglesey.  This is a 5000 year old circle, with a later passage grave built inside.  I experimented with my new, sturdy L-rods.  I walked around the outside of the circle.  At first, nothing happened, apart from the slight reactions caused by moving over uneven ground. Then I reached the back of the mound.  Bingo!  The rods parted dramatically to make a straight line.  I tried it again a few times, and the same thing happened.  I moved further away from the circle, and the same thing happened again.  I moved a little further around the circle, and found another reaction.  The rods seemed to have warmed up.  I marked a place near the front of the chamber and followed the circle around.  We counted 24 reactions in the circle.  I went inside the mound.  The rods did not react at all until I reached the end, where they crossed strongly near a large stone.   I’m a dowser!  What does it mean?  No idea!
This week, we took our cheese butties to Nine Stone Close stone circle in Derbyshire (more like nine stones and ten cow pats).  Again, the rods did nothing until I had walked a little way around the circle.  Again, they made a straight line at some points, and these points remained constant each time I tried it.  Some of the stones were missing, and I expanded the circle I walked to take in places where the other stones may have been.  One such place was under a large oak tree.  The dowsing trainer had told us that oak trees flourished on lines of geopathic stress.  When I crossed the middle of the circle, the rods reacted very strongly.  It was very confusing, and strangely uncomfortable.  The rods spun in circles.  EC claimed that the gusts of wind were doing this, and she was probably right.  A charming neopagan family (‘Run around it widdershins, darling!) picnicking close by suggested that the strong reaction was happening because I was standing over the site of a now-vanished central altar stone.  I was not sure about this, but I recorded it anyway, just because they were so cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment