The Shared Diary of a Novice Paranormal Investigator, aged 52 and Three Quar

When you believe in things you don’t understand, then you suffer.

(Stevie Wonder)

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,

Than are dreamed of in your philosophy.

(Shakespeare)

Ri fol ri fol tol de riddle dee.
(Traditional)

Tuesday

Dowsing and Geopathic Stress (girls just want to have fun)

Dowsers inhabit a hazardous world seething with the influences of subtle energies.  They warn us to beware the toxic effects of geopathic stress on body and mind.  Geopathic stress, they tell us, is linked to everything from disturbed sleep to terminal cancers.    Our tutor demonstrated the effect of geopathic stress in this way.  He asked me to stand up with my right arm extended, and to resist the force he was going to put on it.  Holding my shoulder, he pushed down gently with two fingers on my wrist.  I felt the force, but resisted it easily.  Then he asked me to stand in a different place, which he had identified as contaminated by geopathic stress.  When he pushed down on my wrist this time, my arm feebly collapsed at the first hint of force.  ‘If that is what it does to your arm muscles’, he said, ‘just imagine what it is doing to the rest of your body.’  This concept was new to many of us in the class, and we spent the next ten minutes exclaiming in wonder as we experimented on each other, until the tutor growled, ‘It’s not fascinating, it’s blooming dangerous.’ 

By late childhood, we understand what dangers are.  We learn about burns, cuts and bangs very early in life.  Much later on, we come to understand there are also human-shaped dangers outside the home, and that some dangers can hurt the soul.  We retain this model of danger and safety, refining it slightly as we learn more.  I do remember the relief of understanding at last that there would never be a volcanic eruption under my bed.  It was a little longer, however, before I believed that there really were no more dinosaurs.  In those days, giving young children early access to pictorial encyclopaedias was considered educational, but from personal experience I would query the wisdom of allowing unsupervised browsing.  Zeus was another long-term issue for me.  Volume Three contained large illustrations of the Greek and Roman pantheons, in arrogant poses, wearing pastel drapery.  I though Zeus looked a very unpleasant character, and had nightmares about beefy old men with bare shoulders for years.  The sight of an ill-advised vest can still give me a nasty twinge.

I digress.  Suddenly being informed that a whole new area of danger existed was such a huge shock that bits of our awareness shut down in defence.  Hence the tutor’s irritation when the appalled reactions he had been expecting failed to emerge, and he was left with a room full of blundering oafs simpering ‘Well I never!’ and ‘Oh dear!’ 

Later on, I can investigate the idea of geopathic stress for myself.  It is not in my big dictionary.  Searching the World Health Organisation and the Geological Society was not fruitful.  There is not much about it on Wikipedia.  It is not in the glossary on the National Rational site.  Searching the net instantly delivers a multitude of experts who would like to be gainfully employed in saving me from my home.  Some of them claim to be psychic, some are selling equipment.  The field of geopathic stress appears to be the province of both folk with the vapours and folk with allergies, who are anxious about their electrics, and there are plenty of services and products to soak up any spare cash they may have.  Websites featuring information on GS tend also to contain articles about why your TV is killing you or why stone circles are important.  I will happily believe all of them, but I would like to see some reference on a site I regard as mainstream. 

Most of the sources I read about GS were in agreement that the Earth has a natural field of magnetic energy, which does us no harm.  Lines of this energy can become polluted or negatively charged, and these are harmful.  Described causes of this problem depend on the focus of the writer or website, but can include:

  • Underground streams
  • Sewage
  • Quarries or mines
  • Battlefields
  • Hospitals

Dogs and small children instinctively move away from areas affected by GS.  It kills beech trees.  Cats and oak trees like it.  Although I had never heard of it before, research has been happening in Germany, Poland and Austria where, I am told, it is taken very seriously.  I also have to believe it, because I felt it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment